A 28-member team of health care professionals from Duke University Medical Center is carrying nine tons of surplus medical equipment and donated supplies to the 1500-bed New Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. Mulago Hospital staff will be trained to use and maintain the new equipment then surgeons from both countries will join in conducting a number of brain and spinal surgeries.

The project is administered by Duke’s Global Health Institute.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

More Giant Birds


Michelle Gailiun writes:

OK, so I've developed a wacky fascination with these weird and menacing birds....the marabou storks that have pretty much overtaken downtown Kampala. As I was walking over to the National Theatre this morning to pick up some music for the mini-documentary we hope to make out of this trip, I chanced to look up and see two nests the size of semi wheels in the tree above me....and a big patch of white splotchy stuff on the sidewalk in front of me. I stepped quickly to a clearer pathway and hoped I wouldn't ever be caught under one of these guys at a time when they just couldn't wait. They're not nice, trust me. And they're everywhere.